Sunday, August 5, 2007

And here comes bachelor number two!


Okay, so the title is a wee bit deceptive in that there are currently no men in my life as far as dating goes...but I have officially completed my second bachelor's degree. Yea! I am now officially certified to work as an SLP aid, and I have completed all the prerequisite course work for the master's program. So there are absolutely no worries about things left undone as I begin my first semester in the graduate program.


Another new and exciting thing has ocurred this week, too. One of my graduate professors, Vicki Simonsmeier, who I've only met a time or two, and very briefly in passing, sent me this email:


Kristy,

Dr. Manuel-Dupont has suggested you for a training position in the Interdisciplinary Training Program for next year. I’ve attached some brief information about this program for you to review. This program also has a stipend (usually $3000 for a first year graduate) and requires 300 hours of didactic, leadership and clinical work. Please review the information and email to make an appointment to discuss this opportunity.

Thank you.

Professor Simonsmeier

Vicki Simonsmeier, MS, CCC-SLP/A



Well, needless to say I did email her, and I'll be meeting with her on Wednesday afternoon! She told me once again that "Dr. Manuel-Dupont speaks very highly of you." And while nothing is official yet, I feel really confident that this is going to work out.


Ever since I learned about Interdisciplinary Teams (IDT's) at the end of last fall semester, it's something that I've wanted to be apart of. It means that I'll get specific training on how to organize my caseload based on a group effort. So, if a child is involved with a physical therapist, a social worker, and an audiologist in addition to myself, I'll be trained on how to work with that team of individuals so that we utilize our time most effectively and focus each of our efforts more specificially to the goals that we decide on as a team. It's a pretty awesome, (and when it works right) efficient approach to those in need of services from multiple individuals. All in all, it's a great opportunity and I'm excited for the chance to be involved in it.

3 comments:

Prudence said...

How exciting for you! I hope all goes well and that it's an awesome experience!

The Silly Witch said...

What great new. Here's big congratulations for you. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Congratulations Miss Kissy! You are awesome!

About Me

My photo
Wherever I may roam, Montana is my home.