Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dearborn Bike-Hiking

Tuesday was a fantastic day! I remember hiking up this trail when I was in middle school or high school. Fortunately biking through part of the trail makes the going a bit quicker so we could cover more ground. It was beautiful. These pictures can't adequately show how beautiful this hike was. We crossed the Dearborn River, two streams, and Milky Creek, so we were able to enjoy plenty of water, plus mud since it rained the night before. We changed into our swim attire and splashed around Milky Creek for about an hour, then it started raining pretty heavily and we were still soaked through, so we didn't bother changing back into our dry clothes. The rain just added to the adventure, with all those dark threatening-looking storm clouds swirling in around us.
We saw the largest herd of elk I've ever seen as we were driving towards the trailhead. This little one was having a hard time making it over the fence...I hope he got through eventually, I'm sure he had an anxious mama waiting for him.

The Bridge crosses over the Dearborn. This picture is much more flattering than the one we took on the way back...we were sopping wet and covered in mud.

This picture doesn't do justice to the gobs of mud that covered the both of us and our bikes

The entire bed of this creek was a smooth stone rock and it had the neatest little pools to wade through.

More Pictures of the Gorgeous Dearborn River.

This is Milky Creek. It is by far one of the coolest places I have ever been. These pictures, again, just can't do justice to how awesome this place is. There were little areas along the river bed that are completely smooth stone, and we were actually able to slide down them like you would a water slide. There were also little cascades all around us, the water was warmer than the other creeks and clay collected all around the edges of the river. There were also these funny looking dried flowers everywhere that were curled around into a spiral point. I think everyone needs to plan a trip up to Milky Creek. It's just before the Bob Marshall Wilderness, so of course the rest of the landscape is stunning, too.

3 comments:

The Silly Witch said...

Well, you've talked me into it. I'll definitely put that on my list of things to do before I die.

Unknown said...

How Fun! I want to go too! I bet the clay water it some sort of exotic spa treatment for your skin! :)

MT Missy said...

haha that's funny because Gail and I joked about the very thing Lisa!

About Me

My photo
Wherever I may roam, Montana is my home.